Author Topic: Indie Game: The Movie.  (Read 2897 times)

daz93712

• View Profile
Indie Game: The Movie.
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
Guys, who have seen Indie Game: The Movie?
What do you think about it?
As for me, I can say it is a wonderful movie. I saw it in one go and was very worried about the main characters. I have never seen such kind of movies before.

stormeus

• View Profile
Re: Indie Game: The Movie.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:33:58 AM »
It was also interesting to me to look at the games from the inside, I also had never seen such a movie before.
Jonathan Blow I liked most of all.

pankside

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »
What is this movie about?  More details please ))

O.T.S.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 02:39:16 AM »
The movie says the story of 3 indie developers and all the hardships they had to go through during the development of their games. It gives a detailed analysis of their lives before and after finishing their successful games. It is very good movie because it shows the psychological pressure they had to go through in order to finish in time. But in my opinion for most people this is too much. Very few people would push themselves to the limit like they did. Kudos to the director for the excellent filmmaking.

daz93712

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
I agree with O.T.S. 
I am going to buy this movie. I want to say “Thank you, guys» even with 10 dollars.

zazoum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
As the programmer of BioLab, the movie gave me inspiration and motivation.
Biolab has too many visual calculations, such as entering the dimensions and coordinates of the various visual elements Sopic made in photoshop. We are talking about tons of layers, with hundrends of buttons, graphics and texts, all needed to be transfered exactly as they are in photoshop to Corona. It is not hard, it is just TOO much time consuming to pass in the Corona IDE (I use Outlaw lite version as an IDE) the dimensions and Cartesian coordinates related to the upper left corner of the screen for EACH graphic. Outlaw does not have a visual editor where you could drag n' drop the graphics, such as Flash for example. It doens't even have a layer editor. ALL must be done by coding and entering the numbers manually.
I spent nearly two weeks to write a photoshop script in Javascript where it could give me all the information, and generate the image suffixies I need, so I can optimize the whole process. And it works. The time for transfering graphics from Photoshop to Corona and generally building the exact layout as it is presented in Sopic's photoshop file (built by the guidance of the Game Designer), dropped about to 1/4. That is a great improvement.
Still the process is repetetive, boring and certainly not interesting (contrary to building the game logic for example, which is exciting) but the Indie movie motivated me a lot. I wouldn't work the same way on the visual dull part, if it wasn't for this movie.

p.s.: I plan to release my photoshop script after the release of BioLab, for free. Maybe it can help other teams working on Corona.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:04:04 PM by zazoum »

Nautilus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 06:29:13 AM »
I have seen it also. it's a masterpiece!

legion V

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:03:34 AM »
This film is inspiring!

stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »
It is not only inspiring, but it also gives you to understand how much effort, energy, soul, and time is invested in the creation of each of these games.
When I watched this movie, I had mixed feelings. I admired the creators, but at the same time I was very sorry for them ...   And my $ 10 for the film sent to the creator of the piggy bank too! ))

Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
Respect!

Vampire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
I agree: it's a great movie, there is also the emotions and atmosphere. But I was expecting more stories. I hope they will create more masterpieces in the future.

LA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:52:09 AM »
a film about losers who are lucky.

O.T.S.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
LA, why do you think so? They are happy with their life, with what they are doing at their life. If for you this style of life is unacceptable, this does not mean they are losers!

LA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
They are! Their style of life is only hope for some luck in future.

spark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 02:45:18 AM »
  Hey guys, I have other opinion   ;)
  I think the characters have psychological problems. It does not mean that I did not like the movie. On the contrary, I liked it so much, that I decided also to take part in creation of a game. But I do not want become so crazy as those guys, it is too much…